Your selected question

Do I need my insurance certificate to tax my car?

No, in most cases you can now tax your vehicle online, or by phone, provided that you are the registered keeper and your name, address and any changes you have made to your vehicle have been updated on DVLA/DVLANI records.

Go to to tax your car online now or call the DVLA on 0300 123 4321 to renew by phone.

If you have just taken out a policy it can take up to 7 days for your insurance information to reach the Motor Insurance Database.

To check if your details have been updated please check here for free

If you need to tax your vehicle during this period just complete this short form, we'll put your document in the post and you should recieve it within 5 working days.

How useful did you find this answer?

Poor Excellent